Monday, May 23rd, 2022

CD Projekt buys an indie studio to create games based on one of its properties

CD Projekt, creator of Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher, has acquired the indie studio The Molasses Flood. This studio works with a new game based on one of CD Projekt’s IPs.

Announced to investors today, CD Projekt announced that it had initially purchased 60% of Boston Studios and organized a deal to gradually acquire the remaining 40%. Molasses Flood works with CD Projekt Red, the development unit of CD Projekt, but maintains “fully autonomous”.

Molasses Flood’s new logo. (Source: CD Projekt)

According to the announcement, The Molasses Flood will “work on its own project based on one of CD Projekt’s IPs.” This could be a game set in the world of The Witcher or cyberpunk.

CD Projekt has previously stated that it will develop AAA Witcher and cyberpunk games at the same time from 2022. It’s unclear in which properties MolassesFlood works, and whether this is an additional project in addition to the planned development. CD Projekt says so. More will be announced in the future.

Molasses flood then confirmed the news twitter, “You can build a completely new game in the existing CD Projekt IP world, hire more people, and always play games based on the same principles that have guided us. You can keep making. A hearty game built on a rich gameplay system. “

The studio announcement also confirmed that it retains its name, but adds “CD Projekt Studio” in most communications.

In another press release, co-CD Projekt CEO Adam Kiciński said: “We are always looking for a team to make games with all our hearts. Mosses Flood shares a passion for video game development, and has great technical insight. They are a lot in the group. I am convinced that it will bring the talent and determination of. “

Molasses Flood previously created The Flame in the Flood and Drake’s Hollow. Both approaches are very different, but focus on the survival factor. Members of the Molasses Flood team previously created BioShock, Halo 2, and RockBand before creating indie developers.

Before embarking on a new game, CD Projekt is working on a next-generation upgrade for both Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt. Both have recently been postponed to 2022. Significant expansion of cyberpunk is planned in the future. date.

Joe Skrebels is IGN’s Editor-in-Chief of News.Follow him twitter.. Do you have any hints? Want to discuss a possible story?Please send an email to [email protected]..